Affinity resins have been widely used for the purification of enzymes and other proteins that bind nucleotides and related molecules. GTP-agarose resin comprises GTP attached to agarose beads via its gamma-phosphate. A long hydrophilic spacer (14-atom) is used to minimize unwanted hydrophobic interactions and to facilitate unhindered interactions with biomolecules. The ligand is coupled through the gamma-phosphate group which means that the resin is resistant to phosphatases found in many crude tissue extracts.
- Quick and easy-to-use
- Extremely stable
- Can be used in column chromatography or batch processing
- Stringently QC tested
Q1. What is the best buffer to use?
There is no 'right' answer here. In the absence of any information on the binding requirements of the protein(s) of interest a good starting point is a buffer containing 20mM Hepes, 100-500mM NaCl (or KCl), 20mM MgCl2 and 1mM DTT, pH 7.5. Alternatively, try experimenting with several buffer conditions using small amounts of resin in 1.5ml tubes. After the wash step, elute with GTP or other competing ligand and analyse the elutedproteins by SDS-PAGE. The purification method can then be scaled up using the preferred buffer conditions.
Q2. Are there any other ways of eluting binding proteins from the GTP Agarose?
Yes. While GTP is the obvious choice, ligands that are structurally related to GTP may be used (e.g. GMP and guanosine) to elute a specific subset of the GTP-binding proteins. Drugs that are known to bind to GTP-binding proteins might also be used. If preservation of biological activity is not required, aliquots of resin may be boiled with SDS sample buffer prior to gel electrophoresis.
You may also be interested in this/these product(s)
- Comprehensive experimental fitness landscape and evolutionary network for small RNA - PNAS (2013)
- Functional Characterization of Naturally Occurring Transglutaminase 2 Mutants Implicated in Early-Onset Type 2 Diabetes - Journal of Molecular Endocrinology (2012)
- GTP-dependent packing of a three-helix bundle is required for atlastin-mediated fusion - PNAS (2011)
- Re-examination of the dimerization state of leucine-rich repeat kinase 2:
predominance of the monomeric form - Biochemical Journal (2011)
- Recruitment of the Earliest Component of the Bacterial Flagellum to the Old Cell Division Pole by a Membrane-Associated Signal Recognition Particle Family GTP-Binding Protein - J Mol Biol (2009)
- High-level production and characterization of a G-protein coupled receptor signaling complex - FEBS Journal (2009)
- G Protein-coupled Receptor-promoted Trafficking of G?1?2 Leads to AKT Activation at Endosomes via a Mechanism Mediated by G?1?2-Rab11a Interaction - Molecular Biology of the Cell (2008)
- Altered Axonal Mitochondrial Transport in the Pathogenesis of Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease from Mitofusin 2 Mutations - Journal of Neuroscience (2007)
- A Novel Lysine-rich Domain and GTP Binding Motifs Regulate the Nucleolar Retention of Human Guanine Nucleotide Binding Protein, GNL3L - J Mol Biol (2006)